Thursday, March 13, 2008

WARNING-Popcorn

So Tuesday was one of those days that you don't want to ever repeat. I had a friend over and we made popcorn for our kiddos for a snack. Everything went well and she left so that the older kiddos could have a nap. Evelyn and MyraJean were sitting on the floor with Liam playing and laughing. I walked my friend to the door and then started a bath (lunch was so messy)
I bathed Evelyn and went to put diaper and clothes on her. I gave her her bottle and she started to suck... and gag... and choke. I looked in her mouth and saw popcorn kernels in her throat and tried to get it out with my fingers. That didn't work, so I then started to do CPR thrusts to her back trying to force it out using the air in her lungs. By this time, she was still choking for air and turning blue. I called 911. It was horrible. She finally choked it down and returned to normal colors of pink. Finally, the EMT's came to the house and checked her out. We were concerned, since we never saw it come out, that she has aspirated it into her lungs. So at the behest of the EMTs we grabbed my Dad and he accompanied us the the ER for X-Rays. 3 Hours and 3 cranky babies later, they gave us the OK and sent us home.
That was the end of it right? NO!!! Wednesday morning (8:30) I got a call from the ER and the Pulmonary doctors took another look at her lungs and wanted us to come in. They saw something in there that they thought looked like (wouldn't you know) POPCORN. So I quickly called my Mom, who said she could babysit the other babies, and I ran into the ER at 10 a.m. Then we sat, and sat, oh wait, did I mention we sat? Forever, it seemed. Finally about 12 the decided to get more X-Rays. This is not fun. Evelyn had to sit in a high chair style chair with both hands pulled high into the air (next to her ears) so they can get the x-ray. Then they do a side view, plus a front and back view while she is lying down in the same hands-above-her-head position. She was tired, hungry (they wouldn't allow her to eat or drink) and really ticked about what was happening.
By 2, the Pulmonary doc. came back and said they needed to do a Bronchial-oscopy. This means they put a tube down her throat after they knock her out and look around with a camera for the popcorn. Attached to the tube are pinchers to grab the offending piece of popcorn. The tricky part is that they could do it at 8 pm that night or not until 9 am the next day. I chose for them to do it the next day because I felt like Evelyn needed to be able to eat and not fast for a full 12 hours. I got her dinner, gave her a bath in the 12 by 8 inch sink, and tried to get her to sleep. She went right to sleep and then woke up about 12 times. Finally the nurse came and got her so that I could sleep a little ( like 3 hours worth). Bright and early this morning they came and got her, put her under and went to get the popcorn out of her lungs. Guess what, they never found any. All that for nothing...
There are a couple of things to bear in mind. First, always listen to your Mom. My mom continually told me to not feed babies popcorn, it is a huge choking risk. Second, do not give your kids popcorn or peanuts until they are 3. A surgical nurse said the number one and two choking hazards are popcorn and peanuts and that they can't have them until they are 3. Do NOT give just the fluffy part to your kids either, this does not eliminate the complete risk, because you can't be positive you get all the shell off the popcorn. I was skeptical after Liam, he never choked on popcorn even after he had teeth and was over a year. After Evelyn, I am so sold on no popcorn for 3 and under. If this is any indication of what can happen, I wouldn't give my kiddos popcorn until they are 18 and can pay their own hospital bills.

So... until next time. Good luck and no POPCORN

4 comments:

Mindy said...

that sucks. I'm soo sorry you all had to go through that. but she's fine now and thats the important thing. i think you did all the right things and reacted fine- but what a mess you must be! what a horrifying situation! I doubt they'll be any popcorn in the house for years yet!
I'm so glad you're all safe...

Fromagette said...

We are so glad that everything turned out so well and I'm not likely to give Anna any popcorn anytime soon. Granted, your place is one of the few places she has had it since Hubby doesn't like popcorn stuck in his teeth so we never have it at home.

Camille said...

I am trying not to laugh the whole time I am reading this story. I know that it is not funny, but it is still making me laugh, mainly because I can just "see" you telling it. I am glad that she is ok though. I am glad that you have finally figured out that you should listen to your mom. Love ya

Ketchesons said...

Oh wow!thanks for sharing, I believe we should all help each other with the task of surviving motherhood.