Saturday, February 13, 2010

Legacy


I have been thinking a lot lately of what my children will say at my passing. Morbid, I know, but with the passing of my grandmother, I was moved by what her children said about her. My dad impressed me by saying that my Grandmother was the standard. She was industrious, talented, honest, loving, a protector of children and family, that she was the standard to live up to.


With my passing I hope that my children remember who I tried to be and not necessarily who I was. I hope that they know most of all that I loved them and that they were most important to me. I want them to know that the gospel is the most important standard to live up to and that the promise of an eternal family is the sole goal in my life. I want them to know that I loved life with all of it's challenges and privileges. I never cared about money and that happiness comes from love and acceptance. I loved to laugh and to have joy and just becuase life seems simple doesn't mean that it isn't worth embracing. I want them to know that I love music and books and that getting lost in the joys of life isn't always bad but knowing the path of life is essential.


I want them to know that I love the Lord. I love their Dad, who is the most important person to me and that we chose each other for eternity. I hope that they feel that love every day in this house. I want them to know that I worked hard for their sakes. I love to garden and reap the blessings of a well tended vegetable garden. I was organized and able to provide a stable and happy home for them. I hope they see the gifts that I am able to provide with my talents. I hope they see the potential of a good life and a great education and how it can realize their dreams.


Most of all, I want them to be proud of this family. Both of my parents have left me with this legacy. I have seen both of my parents loose their mortal parents and have seen the love and pride that they have for their parents. I want my kids to feel that way about me, that way I feel about my amazing parents and siblings. This is what I want my kids to remember at my passing, and what I hope that I am able to impart to my family.

1 comment:

Emily K. said...

Oh, they will. They will. It may take awhile, but, they will.