Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We're dead! Too much excitement


At the passing of my paternal grandmother, I decided to see my in-laws at the same time as the funeral. So I quickly packed the kids up and started to drive the 13-14 hour drive. Clif and my Dad thought I was a little crazy trying to drive to Idaho by myself with 4 little kids, but I knew I could do it. We made it through Oregon just fine and then into Idaho in record time. Since I was doing so well I didn't want to stop in Boise for the night and I just kept driving. All went fantastically well until right outside of Ririe about a block away from my mother-in-laws house when I hit ice. I skid one way and then another way and drove right into a drained canal. Let me paint the picture for you, if you drove by and didn't look for the lights, you would have never seen us from the road, it was that deep and we were in the flat bottom. As soon as we hit the canal, Liam woke up and started crying and screaming We're dead! We're dead! I calmly explained that heaven didn't look like Idaho with 4 feet of snow on the ground, it was more tropical.

I called my brother in law and told him that he was going to have to get us since I was not going to get the car out of the canal. I then called another brother-in-law Trevor since he was super close and thought he could help get us out. I said that I was stuck in the canal about a block from his in-laws house (Clif's parents) and that I had the 4 kids and I needed him to come get me. He said sure he would come get me, but who was this? I forgot that no one but Kirsten and Paul knew I was coming and quickly explained why I was here. He very kindly came and got me and the kids and let us sit in his warm car while the tow truck came and pulled me out.

We finally got to Kirsten's house 2.5 hours later than expected. Poor Paul and Trevor were so tired the next day but it was so nice of them to come get us out. The rest of the trip was less exciting but very fun. Liam and Tate had a ball playing together and the girls got so much attention that I am going to have issues coming the next week while they adjust to home life again. Kirsten took some really cute pictures of my kids so I have some new pictures. I got to visit with people that I really missed, and ate so much food I am going to be running my bum off for couple of months.

The funeral was nice but my car was making funny noises and I came back to Idaho Falls early so I could have them look at it. I didn't make it back in time but that was fine since Evie started to throw up Friday night and had a horrible night. I then decided that it was time to go home. I was fed up with the snow (which Liam loved), and the car troubles, and I wasn't going to have sick kids at my in-laws. So I packed them back up and went home on Sunday. Not eventful but very tiring, and we didn't have any excitement. Nice to be back home with all kids and no, we're not dead.

4 comments:

Belkycita said...

You ARE crazy!! I don't even want to take the girl to Jeddah and that is only an hour away!!
I'm glad you made back safe though.

Haylee said...

Bree, I love your blog - it is so entertaining to read! :) I imagine lots of your stories aren't fun in the moment, but you gotta admit, they do make good reads! Keep hanging in there. We miss you all!

Emily K. said...

I can't believe you drove ALL THAT WAY by yourself, with 4 kids in tow. I have always wanted to drive to ID by myself, but, I'm too darn chicken. Way to go! Glad you made it back safe.

Kelly said...

These are GORGEOUS! I'm crazy at how grown up the twins are. Enjoy every second of them. They are going to be all in the school in a flash!