Thursday, May 6, 2010

This is not about my kids- remember planet me?

I know that I use this as a way to record my kids and the funnies, but sometimes it needs to be about me, "planet me" remember? My college friend Naomi totally inspired me with her description of herself. I need to clarify something. I went to a Jamie Cullum concert, the best concert I have ever seen and I don't LOVE jazz either. I realized that I have forgotten to love myself in the midst of being a Mom.

I love that I have impressioned my children to choose AFI or Lady Gaga (just the songs- never the videos) over other "children" music. I love that I have short hair and will keep it short no matter what the fashion dictates. I am that crazy person who listens to crazy loud music to fuel enough anger to get through 9 miles of running. That by the 8th mile, I am dancing on the tracks. I can spend thousands of hours reading and or watching cooking books and shows to get more recipes. I am inspired with food and hope that I might run my own kitchen one day. I love getting deals at garage sales or second handed stores and pride myself to never pay full price on anything. I take pride in my home canned food storage and 2 full freezers of food. I love that I miss my kids and return home if I have forgotten to have family prayer with my family. I appreciate the fact that I don't see eye to eye with most of my contemporaries and I don't need to be validated in my life. I love the imperfections and embrace those that I can not fix. I love that my son, asking to play with me said "I am sad when you don't play with me". I love my daughters who teach me patience, love, and acceptance. I love my husband who lets me stew when he knows things are not quite right and gives me space when I need it.

I am saddened by the loss of myself given up by the hustle and bustle of life. I vow today to remember who I am and who I want to be. And most important to be appreciative of my life, my family and my Savior, who without I would be nothing today.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Good for you. When Sam goes to 1st grade next year, I hope to relearn who I am...

Belkycita said...

You know, in all honesty, I really think that even though it feels like we forget our passions and beliefs the truth is, we don't.
I think I could see all those things you said about yourself in the short time I knew you. They just weren't main show, they were the opening act.

Although I think it's amazing that you can choose to make a difference. I can't wait to see what more you bring to this world now that you are coming with your own "new edition"

Watch out world!!!!

;-)

Naomi said...

You've always been one of the most unique people I know. I'm glad you're doing some reconnecting. Now WE need to some reconnecting! I'll talk to Shane and see when we can get up there.