Monday, June 7, 2010

The Zoo


Clif wanted to go to the zoo this past weekend. We never seem to get through the whole zoo in 2 hours so we tackle different parts on each visit. This past visit was particularly eventful. At the end of the 2 hours, I was ready to call it all in. Liam was asking to see the elks and I relented with the firm response that at the end of the elks we were heading out. The elk were elk, nothing special and it took no time for us to finish with them. Clif then steered the kids to the big brown bears. I mean BIG bears, they were so cool but I was ready to go again. So I headed out and thought Clif was right behind me, he wasn't. He went into the fishery area which is on the back side of the bear exhibit and it is solid glass. So there is a pond right next to the glass where you can see the fish swimming around and as I am trying to get Clif to help me round the kids up to leave one of the bears comes over. He was HUGE and really beautiful. He started to swim in the water and then came and brushed his back against the glass. Then the other bear came over and did the same thing. It was so cool to be so close to the bears with just a couple of inches of glass in between them and us. But the best part? They started to wrestle/play/fight (pick the word you think best fits) right in front of us in the water. I have to say I was even amazed. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in the wild. So cool...














video

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I remember that Gorilla! When I saw him he sat on his hand, pooped in it, then ATE it!! I was SOOO disgusted I was dry heaving!

Marci said...

I was there with Kirsten when that gorilla pooped in his hand and ate it! We were ALL dry heaving! IT was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nasty!