Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tomatoes and more Tomatoes

We had the opportunity to pick tomatoes this past week. So Monday I went and picked some but I felt like I didn't get enough and so Clif and I went back and picked some with the family for family night.
This is the tomato field. It was probably 10 acres of tomatoes. It was nuts.

Adele with her tomato bag. She loves tomatoes

We are not sure if she picked more or ate more. All of the kids said they had belly aches at the end of picking the fruit. It was sad and yet funny all at the same time. It was a great night and we all had such a good time. The kids were surprisingly good at picking the good tomatoes and not eating all of them.
Most of the tomatoes were about this big. The kids had at least one this size. At one point MyraJean had one in each hand and was commenting about how the orange ones were not as good as the red ones.






We might have over done itBy the time we got home we realised we had close to 300 lbs of tomatoes. So I spent Tuesday, Wednesday and part of Thursday canning my hinney off. We got tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes. We ended up with 84 quarts and 38 pints.




MyraJean said "Next time Mom, can we just buy some tomatoes and not pick them". I totally understood what she meant, because I only buy a couple of pounds not 300 and so I don't spend 3 days ignoring the kids.

But it will be good to have the food storage.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow! You are amazing!
Great Job!